Tuesday 5 May 2009

My career: Sociology

The main question I'm asked is: what is Sociology? and my answer is... I'm still not very sure.

When I first decided to study this, it was mainly based in the sociology course I had in the Program of Baccalaureate (for the Bachelor's degree) I was in, in this same University. I just liked the class, and I thought that everything I could learn in Sociology, I could use it as a contribution to make our society better... if we wanna improve it, we have to understand it, and for me, this is the best way.

Sociologists can make many contributions to society, since we can work in public and private places. So, we can contribute by making researches, which results will work for some ministerial or public program, or we can teach at the University, or dedicate just to the academic research, or maybe in private company.

Since we have many chances, the tools we are going to need are diverse. The access to a decent data source is basics for us, or to have the tools to make a research and to get to the people we need. We will need maybe of our sense to apply the theory to our reality, and use it in a way that we can make it better.

My favorite subject is, by now, social stratification. How classes are formed, and how that changes in every society, and how we can work on that, make a change, make things better! Specially in our country, where differences among classes are so hard, and unfair I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment